Overview – Healthy eating
Healthy eating and drinking is an important part of looking after your heart. It is surprising how easy it is to make some changes that can improve your health. It’s never too late to start eating healthier foods.
Eating a varied diet of healthy foods can help you achieve and maintain a healthy weight and have the energy you need to live life to the full.
The Heart Foundation offers the following healthy eating tips:
- Include vegetables, wholegrains, fruit, nuts and seeds every day.
- Make good fat choices with nuts, seeds, avocadoes, olives and cook with their oils.
- Aim for fish or seafood 2-3 times a week.
- Include beans and legumes in at least 2 meals a week, and up to 6 eggs a week.
- Keep ‘sometimes’ foods to only sometimes.
- Choose reduced fat milk, cheese and yoghurt.
- Choose herbs and spices to flavour foods, instead of adding salt.
- Drink water.
Healthy eating tips brochure – English
Healthy eating tips brochure – Greek
Use the labels on food packaging to make healthier choices. If you need to know more, check out the Heart Foundation page